COPC P.E.I. JOB OPENING
Request for Expressions of Interest for Organic Research Coordination activities for the Prince Edward Island Certified Organic Producers Cooperative. The P.E.I. Certified Organic Producers Cooperative (COPC) represents the organic sector on P.E.I. The COPC is a democratically structured organization that takes direction from its membership; Island farmers that are certified organic or are in transition to organic production. The P.E.I. COPC is responsible for helping advance P.E.I.’s organic industry through research coordination, organizing membership training and networking events, and lobbying government for continued support for the organic industry. (read more)
With input from membership, the COPC has been developing a research program to serve the Island's organic sector. This research program is based on a participatory, agroecological approach, in which farmers take active leadership roles in prioritizing and conducting on-farm research. Willing COPC members will be provided with training in experimental design and management, and be provided with active support from the COPC's research coordinator(s) and research support network. Initial projects within this program are itemized below (scope of work). The COPC would like to hear from all interested parties, and is considering full time employment opportunities as well as part time contracts (short or long term).
Scope of Research Coordination Work:
• Work with COPC membership to prioritize, coordinate and implement organic research.
• Disseminate research findings and current agricultural best practices through member events.
• Co-organize and host field days:
• Malting barley field day, July
• Organic seed hemp field day, August 17th
• Organic Cropping Systems field day (date TBD)
• Coordinate research projects:
• Real-time, on-farm environmental monitoring (sensor networks).
• Cover crop research (variety trials).
• Diversified farm profitability analysis (peer learning networks).
• Organic cropping systems (with Agriculture Canada).
• Soybean variety trials
• On-farm research manual
• Develop the researcher support network (associate COPC membership)
A more detailed description of the research program and specific projects is available to interested, eligible candidates.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to details.
• Demonstrated research and analysis capacity
• Experience and/or education in fields related to agriculture and agronomy.
• Experience working with and facilitating diverse age groups and stakeholders (farmers, researchers, community leaders, government, academics, students).
• Familiarity with organic standards for crop production.
• Familiarity and experience with experimental design and management.
• Must possess a valid PEI drivers licence.
• Ability to exercise sound and ethical judgement when acting on behalf of the PEI COPC.
• Experience working with or for non-profit and agricultural organizations
• Experience with experiential education.
Start date: Late May 2015 Contract term: Pending satisfactory performance, up to a three year term is possible. Hours/week: To be determined in consultation with candidates and consideration of available skills.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and an expression of interest that clearly describes your qualifications for this work, including specific examples of past activities. Also provide the names and contact information for three references. Submit all documents to:
email@example.com* by 5pm on Friday, May 22.